free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 9 January 2017

A for Austrian Adventures.

AUSTRIA....

 When I reached the tender age of twenty my parents, at last, allowed me to go on holiday with my boyfriend albeit with another couple and their respective widowed mothers. We landed in Munich Airport and then, had a harrowing 4 hour journey in a rickety old coach. I remember the day clearly, it was the day England won the world cup against Germany in 1966.

Our coach driver had the radio playing so we could hear the match report , needless to say he was German and was full of guff because on the last second of 90 minutes Germany scored to equalise and force extra time, however England went on to win 4-2 in extra time.

 So, there we were, in the midst of Bavaria with German flags flying everywhere, and we Brits' all 20 of us, were dancing up and down with delight celebrating our fabulous win over Germany.

 I'm surprised the coach driver didn't drive us into a ravine !


 AUSTRIA Seefeld.  Our first vision of Seefeld was this beautiful church that stands in the middle of a meadow strewn with pretty wild flowers. The church is called Seekirchl.





Wintertime in  Seefeld AUSTRIA.


Snow on the mountain even in summertime.


Another church nestling in a valley next to Seefeld.

We stayed in a lovely little 'Family run' Hotel called The Bellevue. It stood on a plateau overlooking the village, and to the rear there was a forest of enormous fir trees, that whistled and groaned  when it was windy.

 I don't  remember the name of the family but they were wonderful hosts, Breakfasts were simple and plentiful with yoghurt and fruit, Austrian cheeses and warm home made bread, Also we would have slices of home cured ham and new laid eggs.

 If we were going out  they would make us a picnic of food similar to our breakfast but also some delicious home made quiche. Some times we would amble into town and then return for lunch which usually consisted of a huge tureen of steaming hot soup heaving with vegetables and pasta shapes and of course, the ubiquitous crusty bread. At dinner we dined on veal escalopes cooked in a creamy pepper sauce or a hearty beef ragout with  enormous fluffy herby dumplings.


 Each week our hosts would hold a traditional Austrian Evening, where they would don their Nation Costumes, Leiderhosen for the men and pretty floral dresses for the ladies.




This is the world famous Gundolf Family performing in one of their Tyrolean Evenings, We managed to see them on a trip to Innsbruck, which was about 10 miles away.


Alpine horn players such amazing sounds.


Above is the beautiful city of Innsbruck. surrounded by The Alps.

Whilst we were staying in Austria we travelled over The Brenner Pass (below)
  
to visit The Dolomites into Northern Italy.



 There lies another tale which will be my subject for the letter 'B'.

(Please note most of the pictures on this site are by courtesy of various Google sites, my thanks to some very talented photographers, DW.)

I hope you have enjoyed sharing one of the many holidays I've had in Europe and I hope to write more through round 20.

My sincere thanks to the AMAZING Denise for devising this  AWESOME  Blog of ABCW.  Also many many thanks to the ANCHORMAN Roger who has worked so hard over the years as the ADMINISTRATOR,  ABLY ASSISTED by the ADMIRABLE Leslie who has ALSO supported him as his AIDE-DE-CAMP. Not forgetting  the team that are ALWAYS ready to ASSIST Roger and Leslie by visiting their ALLOTED blog sites. 

Every good wish one and all, for a Happy and Peaceful 2017,

 from Di. xx. ABCW team.

***





***







  


This is the local golf course surrounded by a forest

.Behind the forest was our hotel. 


33 comments:

  1. In those times I was 3 years old ;-) Can't remember much of those days. The journee gave you lots of beautiful memories, and that is wonderful. Looking forward to more of your travelstories... 25 chances to tell about them in this new round ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems, according to my family and friends, I have an unremitting memory, things that I have enjoyed I never forget. That holiday in Austria I shall never forget, from the beautiful scenery, the gorgeous grey cows with enormous bells around their neck and most of al, The warmth and hospitality from the Austrian people.
    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) well if you have to much of that memory-space, give me some then ;-)

      Delete
  3. Super story Trubes. Looking forward to reading more. I was 10 at the time and living in Singapore. Went to Austria for the first time last year. It was fab. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it Anne and so good to see you back posting again,
    We've had lots of adventures in Europe, so I hope to go out from
    our final round of Abcw with a flourish...keep smiling,
    Hugs n stuff,
    Di xx
    PS why don't you join in ABCW just write about your travels, you're good at that xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you've made me want to visit Austria! It was never really on my bucket list, but now...maybe. I'm like you in that I can remember practically every day of my trips. When I first started traveling, I kept a journal but then it got so I was so tired at the end of the days that I gave it up. Now I remember through my photos! Am considering going north from Liverpool next time to the Lake District and beyond, so will be back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,
      If you have your sights set on Europe you must visit Austria.
      I've only written about a small part of the trip, we travelled over The Brenner Pass to the Dolomites in N.Italy (part of the Alps mountain range), I intend to write about that in more detail, next week..
      Delighted that you are coming 'home' again!
      Hugs xxx
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your lively description of your Austria trip! What fun!
    I spent a month in Austria last year, my first time, and loved it. But I was a working guest (volunteer) at a Franciscan farming community, the Franziskusgemeinschaft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dina, good to hear from you again, I'm so pleased you've had the opportunity to visit Austria last year. I long to re-visit but at present health issues dis-allow me from doing so at present. i will be writing more about the trip next weekso as'tis said 'Watch this space'
      Kind regards,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
    2. Hi Di, OK, I will look for your next episode on Austria.
      Sei gesund!

      Delete
  7. These Austrian adventures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would ABSOLUTELY love to visit AUSTRIA.
    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure would love it so many photo opportunities,
      The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful.
      The people exude an air of inner beauty, this positively
      shows in the Austrians demeanour.
      But who wouldn't be happy living in such a beautiful
      part of the world.
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      Abcw team.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Arnoldo,
      You are so right! It's not just the Mountains and Lakes,
      It's the people, the music, the cuisine, the beautiful
      cows their colouring is amazing, light grey with charcoal grey
      markings, they look as if their eyes have been coloured in with
      charcoal eye liner, The finishing touch is the large bell tied around
      their necks on brightly coloured collars, When the cows are on the move
      you can hear the dulcet tones of their bells as they munch harmoniously
      on the nutritious pastures of grass and wild flowers.
      Go on.... take a trip to Europe.and take all your art equipment with you...
      Voila!
      Love Di,
      ABCW team!

      Delete
  10. I wish I can visit Austria one day, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. C.R. I would go back again, it's sort of etched in
    my heart but My health is not good so any travelling
    just now is not wise.
    Although, we live on the edge of Wales, which we love
    and The Lake District, so we can take holidays there.
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We enjoyed Austria very much each of the three times we've been there!
    My "A" stands for ASPENDALE in AUSTRALIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed a well seasoned Austrian visitor,
      I'd love to go again,
      Kind regards,
      di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  13. And "A" also stands for ADELAIDE in AUSTRALIA

    ReplyDelete
  14. And "A" also stands for ALICE SPRINGS in AUSTRALIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is very hot and humid there Nick,
      best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  15. Austria is assuredly an agreeable adventureland! :-)
    My "A" is for ARIZONA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Nick, hoping to go back sometime soon.
      Best wishes,
      di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  16. Austria is the first country I visited when I first went abroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lindy Lou !
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  17. Hello Nora, The photo's are courtesy of Mr Google,
    All my snapshots are quite old and jaded so good old
    Mr Google stepped in...Hurrah for Mr G.!
    But all the memories are large in my book of memories.
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    Abcw team.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been following for a few days so I could join round 20. I enjoy travel and hope to see more of Europe some day. Austria would be on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katie,
      so pleased you joined us and travel definitely the best way
      literally to broaden yor horizons.
      I've been to many amazing countries in my time and have met
      some amazing people and in particular the Austrians,
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.





      Delete
  19. Beep, beep. That was a pretty cool sounding trip. Such hearty delicious meals. I don't know if I'd have the energy to do anything but sleep after a meal. I like that kind of vacation. :-) Hugs, Di!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If was great fun Susie and I was only 20, full of energy and always hungry!
      We did a lot of walking and also took a cable car trip to the top of a
      mountain, although terrifying,the views were quite spectacular. I'll tell you
      about the top of the mountain next time.
      hugs n stuff,
      Di,xx

      Delete
  20. Hello Di.. First, many thanks for taking time to comment on my recent post. That gave me the impetus to join up for ABC Wednesday for this last run. Though I was missing in Action for such a long time, I remain a fervent fan of that beautiful meme and so AppreciAtive of All of you who have given such faithful Attention to we posters. I loved your description of the ride in the van, with you and your friends cheering on England in spite of the driver's allegiance to Germany. I smiled at your being permitted to travel with your boyfriend at age 20. My how things have changed. :) I haven't seen Austria and would so love to. Just haven't worked out a way to travel yet, but I hope I will before I get too much older. Beautiful sights, generous hosts, great food, and music too. I can see why that trip is such a happy memory for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol so good to hear from you and welcome back to ABCW, looking forward to reading some of your most interesting writings of your life in and around Vancouver, not forgetting Bill and Black Jack.
      I would love to return to Austria maybe one day?
      Glad you liked my meme, I really enjoy writing, as I know you do,
      Best wishes.
      Di.
      ABCW team.
      ABCW team

      Delete